Thursday, October 11, 2007

Satanic Verses

This book is very interesting, even though I can't follow all that I've read. Amrita translated some words throughout the text, which was very helpful, plus we got a little history of Islam, which also helped. The style of Rushdie's writing in this book is very fast paced (Rushdie can fit a lot of action in a sentence), but it seems like it takes me a long time to read. I am interested to see what else will happen, because the events seem random to me. The book started with Saladin and Gibreel falling out of the airplane, then went to their childhoods as they grew up, but then I feel like Gibreel stories seem jumpy and I don't always understand the historical significance of them. I am sure that we will talk more about them when we meet. All in all, I really like the style of the book and the history that I am learning through it and I am intrigued to see where it goes from here.

No comments: