Thursday, October 11, 2007

A bit of "home"

So I'm half done with "Satanic Verses" and I have to say, it's a bit nostalgic, for me, to read about Rushdie's Bombay. In many ways it's the Bombay of my youth (India is slow to change and ageless in that way) - and also the India of my parents' childhood stories. I'm working on getting the vocabulary translations up - they'll be up before the next meeting, I promise!

As far as the story goes - the magical realism reminds me of "Chronicle of a Death Foretold" by Garcia-Marquez - and the way Rushdie invents words, meshed together in a very Nordic/Germanic linguistic manner is probably an influence in Roi's "God of Small Things." I had no idea what the "satanic verses" of the title were, and only by reading the book was I inspired to more digging into the theological metaphor.

Well, it's a pretty blatant metaphor - Rushdie has no qualms about who his characters are meant to represent. Hell, there's even a character named Salman in the story.

This is a short blog post for me mostly because a) I want to talk about a bunch of things at the meeting today and b) I need to read more of this story before I can comment on it.

No comments: