Thursday, December 6, 2007

Walking Machines

"Harrison Bergeron" is another dystopia centered upon the idea of equality, especially reminiscent of Lois Lowry's "The Giver," which I'm sure others read in middle or high school, or even the somewhat shallow but entertaining film, "Equilibrium." What always gets me in these kinds of stories is the treatment of pain. In the end, Hazel can't remember that she's mourning the death of her son, and her husband encourages her to forget sadness. Of course, we all remember the cliches about how we must have darkness to have light, good to have evil, etc. The one about pain and joy definitely applies here.

I assume the goal of equality and sameness in the story is so that everyone can achieve happiness without interfering with others' happiness. All too often in our current time, we have to compete with others in the quest to get what we want out of life. The story's government eliminates the need to compete in the interest of everyone receiving the same fruits out of life. However, in eliminating that competition, the government does away with the sense of accomplishment when we achieve our goals. I think we need the struggle and the pain in order to feel, so that we can truly understand the joys we work so hard for.

I find that in all kinds of friendships and love, the relationship is not just defined by mutual affinity, but by how willing the other is to put up with the less appealing parts of your personality. I can't predict how well a friend will get along with a new boyfriend/girlfriend until the honeymooning couple actually experience a first fight. You gotta work for it, etc.

And as to "Welcome to the Monkey House," I just prefer not to even think about sex not being fun. Apologies, but that's just how it goes for me.

... So it goes. (Vonnegut just wretched in his grave.)

An afterthought: The subject title comes from Revl9n's "Walking Machine."

She said, "I like it better when it hurts"
She said, "I don't want to be a walking machine"
She said, "I like it better when it feels"
She said, "I don't want to be a walking machine"
So let the rain keep coming down

Yeah, profound, but I want to make up for my personal lack of macro.

No comments: