Sunday, September 16, 2007

American Women

Fiction Side: “The Loved One” was the first book I have read by Evelyn Waugh. I found his humor, which was pretty dark, very entertaining, and I enjoyed reading it.
Waugh definitely had an interesting take on the American woman. Dennis found American woman to be all the same, a “standard product,” who would “croon the same words to him in moments of endearment and express the same views and preferences in moments of social discourse.” Dennis finds American women boring, even going was far to say that they all look alike, and when he does get involved with Aimee, he does not get emotionally attached (well, he is English). This is shown when she dies, as Dennis goes right into the business of getting rid of her body, the only regret of her death a “I loved that girl." There are many interesting characters in this book, and names too, especially “Joyboy,” since there was such a contrast of serious dialogue and descriptions with Mr. Joyboy’s name (very amusing). Examples: “‘This is no time for recrimination, Joyboy,’” “Mr. Joyboy was debonair in all his professional actions.”

Food Side: Ben and I scoped out D2 International Chocolate Day and discovered that they do not do chocolate and chili pepper well. Kerry, however, has promised that she does it very well, so that is perhaps a project to consider for later on.

1 comment:

Amrita said...

Exqueeeeese me, chocolate and chili peppers is my forte, I'll have you know :P